In 1914, Commodore Wilbert E. Longfellow started the American Red Cross Life Saving Corps in order to reduce the number of lives lost as a result of drowning.
Aquatic Training & Consulting Service is proud to continue this tradition of creating safe aquatic environments as an authorized provider of American Red Cross Lifeguard Training courses. Each year, ATCS certifies hundreds of lifeguards by offering courses, not only in the Washington D.C. Metropolitan Area, but also around the world.
ABOUT THE COURSE
Lifeguard candidates must be at least 15 years old and demonstrate strong swimming skills. Course participants learn what it takes to be a professional lifeguard:
- Job Responsibilities
- Patron Surveillance Skills
- Rescue Skills
- First Aid and CPR/AED Skills
To participate in the Lifeguarding course, you must be able to demonstrate the following skills on the first day of the course in order to continue in the training:
- Swim 300 yards continuously, using either Freestle (front crawl), Breaststroke or a combination of the two. Backstroke is not allowed.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 – 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder.
- Tread water using only your feet for 2 minutes
PLEASE BRING A SWIMSUIT AND TOWEL FOR THE SKILLS EVALUATION AND FOR EVERY CLASS.
Upon successful completion of the Lifeguarding Course or the Lifeguard Review Course, each participant will receive an electronic American Red Cross Universal Certificate indicating Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, which is valid for 2 years. Students will receive their e-cert directly from the Red Cross usually within 7 days of the class completion.
LIFEGUARD REVIEW: Students looking to renew their Red Cross lifeguard certification are eligible to do a review class provided that their certification is still current or recently expired. Students will need to bring their own mask or purchase one for $10 at the Class.